Zucchini Pasta with Cod and Spicy Onion
This light, bright and oh so fresh “pasta’ dish is incredibly tasty. Swapping pasta with zucchini noodles (zoodles) is a great way to cut carbs and calories meaning you can eat more! Furthermore, zoodles are packed with nutrients plus they are gluten-free. The combination of textures and flavors in this dish just works so well. For the best result, use high quality diced tomatoes to achieve optimal flavor and whatever you do, do not overcook the zucchini noodles.
4 medium zucchinis
3 piece of cod
1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 serrano chili, thinly sliced (remove seeds for less heat)
2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
Pinch of dried oregano
Sliced mozzarella cheese
How to Make It
- Trim and spiralize the zucchini using a spiralizer (do not peel). Cut long noodles to the length of spaghetti then set aside. If you don’t have a spiralizer on hand, use a julienne vegetable peeler. If you have neither, you can:
- Carefully carve strips from the zucchini until you reach the core. Noodles will be thicker and have a more rustic appearance.
- Use a grater.
- Heat oil or butter in a saucepan over medium.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic when the oil is hot. Sauté while stirring until fragrant.
- Add the sliced chili followed by the diced tomatoes with the canning juices.
- Sprinkle in the oregano along with a generous pinch of salt and black pepper. Stir.
- Bring to a gentle boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Leave to simmer uncovered for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cod and gently simmer for 1 minute
- Add the zucchini noodles to the sauce and toss. Cook for 1-2 minutes. They should still have some bite just like pasta.
- Plate and top with mozzarella cheese before serving.