Elote (Mexican Street Corn) with Grilled Eggplant and Mustard Vinaigrette
This recipe adds a nice twist by combining elote, the delicious Mexican street corn slathered in mayo and crema, with the hearty flavor of eggplant. The grilled corn has that lovely charred note, the texture is crisp, it brings that signature sweetness to the party, and transforming the creamy elements into an equally creamy dressing with some spice and a hint of lime completes the flavor profile.
- 4 ears of corn, husked
- Vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Mexican crema
- ½ cup finely crumbled cotija cheese plus more for garnish
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (remove ribs and seeds for less heat)
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of red chili flakes, optional
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
How to Make It
- Prepare a grill or grill pan for medium heat cooking.
- Lightly brush each corn cob and eggplant slices with vegetable oil.
- Grill the corn and eggplant while turning occasionally for about 8 minutes or until tender and charred.
- For the corn dressing, combine the mayonnaise, Mexican crema, ½ cup of cotija cheese, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, paprika, lime juice, salt, pepper and red chili flakes (if using) to a large bowl and whisk.
- Coat the corn evenly with the dressing.
- For the mustard vinaigrette, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, Dijon mustard and fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the eggplant with the mustard vinaigrette and garnish with fresh parsley.